1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, we realise advertising is annoying, it is however necessary to help us be a sustainable resource for all, if you want to go advert free then please use the following link to subscribe for £5 a month: Click here
    Dismiss Notice

New Economic Landscape Chat

Discussion in 'New Economic Landscape Chat' started by Steamy, Jun 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steamy

Steamy Co-Founder of BlueShare Staff Member Moderator

Brexit/Bremain

2. Steamy

When I watched this I felt leaving the EU was good, so many opposing signal's out there.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    sirlostalot: 5 Points (The Italians have passion and a great turn of phrase, "Now the British want to leave this Economicide from this authoritarian EU." and E parli italiano steamy?) Jun 25, 2016
    coolebenji: 5 Points (..great find...) Jun 25, 2016
  3. SophieR

SophieR Member

Public was misled by LEAVE camp on consequences of OUT vote (possibility of break-up of UK, very little change to immigration, negative short/medium term impact on economy). The reality has now hit home and many want a second referendum.

Sturgeon pledges to 'protect' Scottish EU interests
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629331

EU referendum: No promise of immigration drop - Nigel Evans MP
    Leave campaigner Nigel Evans MP says there had been "some misunderstanding” over the Leave campaign’s position on reducing immigration.
    Asked by BBC Radio 5 live’s Stephen Nolan if reducing immigration had been "inferred" by the Leave campaign, the Conservative MP said the plan was always to “control” it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629300

Newsnight exchange with Brexit MEP Daniel Hannan
    Newsnight's Evan Davis had a tense exchange with MEP Daniel Hannan over free movement on Friday's programme.
    Hannan insisted the public had not been misled over how much control the country would have over immigration post-Brexit.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36628894

The UK has had its credit rating outlook cut to "negative" by the ratings agency Moody's after the country voted to leave the EU.
    Moody's said the result would herald "a prolonged period of uncertainty".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. mart101

mart101 Demi God of BlueShare

I'm glad you posted that. Thanks

5. powerinnumbers

powerinnumbers Demi God of BlueShare

As a remain voter the only satisfaction I have taken is that the likes of the Kinnocks who have had their heads in the trough for so long as unelected commissioners taken overinflated salaries.

sirlostalot: 5 Points (Kinnock certainly didn't fall on his arse after he fell on his arse.) Jun 25, 2016
  6. ezglide

ezglide Demi God of BlueShare

The fact is that 52% of the population of the United Kingdom voted for a Brexit after weeks of televised debates and canvassing by both sides. This was after one of the highest turn outs of voters (72%) regardless of whereabouts in the UK you live the result was a majority for the leave vote. If you voted then you exercised your democratic rights if you didn't it's no good bleating about the result afterwards ! We as a nation have made our decision and regardless of which side you were on we should accept it and get on with making it work. I was very disappointed in Cameron who always insisted he would see it through regardless of which way the vote went prior to the 23rd ! The Scots had thier once in a generation independence vote and decided to stay as part of the U.K. They should now do so and help us fight for the best deal and not seek to divide the nations. Perhaps they could move to Northern Ireland and the Northern Irish move to Scotland ! Then everyone would be happy and there would be no need for land borders ! I hope we have made the correct decision but a decision we have made and should now stick with it. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

7. JustStayin

JustStayin Demi God of BlueShare

It's a little quieter here than on the WTG thread @Steamy
    It might be an idea to add a banner to the page header directing debate here??

8. Viking

Viking Demi God of BlueShare

Dazz66, Ron Clifton and mart101 like this.
  9. Steamy

done

Apache Reign and JustStayin like this.
  10. coolebenji

coolebenji ..in the Real World we compete with the Best...

..interesting that Europe are showing the hands that they are playing while we have not said anything... the silence is wonderful.. It could be a different line up that Europe has to negotiate with, with a different agenda, than a rather liberal pro Euro politicians that they are use to... we do need to respect Europe while not be taken for a ride...

..great video @Steamy... It deserves 5 of the best...

11. rcl

rcl Demi God of BlueShare

One of the reasons I voted 'remain' was that I was very unsure what a 'leave' result would actually achieve, as it would be entirely dependent on what successive UK governments chose to sign up to over the next 2-10 years (or more). As we're seeing now, some of the 'leave' campaign promises are morphing into quite different realities.

It didn't make sense to me (personally) to vote for an outcome that was likely to be disruptive and yet still be conditional on so many unknowables.

However, now that (as Trizza put in what I thought was a marvellously succinct post on the other board) the "die is cast", we are where we are - and it is about how we move forward in the best way from here.

I thought the Italian video posted by Steamy was uplifting and thought-provoking - it described the outward looking, trading nation I want to be part of - a nation where we accept responsibility for our actions and lose the paranoia of blaming 'others' for our condition.

I would like the nation to be cohesive, tolerant, transparent, international and dynamic.

I have no reason to assume the above positive outcomes will happen - that will depend on who we elect in the years to come - but I will try to vote for future representatives who seem most likely to achieve it (knowing that they can't pretend their 'hands are tied').

P.S. I do remain concerned about the break-up of the U.K. and can see the real problems this result causes in Scotland and N. Ireland (in many ways more for N. Ireland). This is a real challenge.

P.P.S. I also hope political debate becomes less populist and divisive - but (realistically) politicians are going to say whatever works, so the ability to change that probably falls more to the electorate.

Viking: 5 Points (gpod post. Time to look ahead.) Jun 25, 2016
    Ron Clifton: 5 Points (well deserved - a good post) Jun 26, 2016
    Dazz66, Ron Clifton, Viking and 2 others like this.
  12. mart101

mart101 Demi God of BlueShare

Wholeheartedly agree as another on the losing side. We will, as a nation, do what is needed to better ourselves.

I am seriously pissed though at the thought of another Scottish referendum and most of my friends and family are of the same mind. Honestly I cannot bear the thought of it. And as you mention, Ireland. I have friends in Eire and the thought of anything being rekindled there appals them.

I suspect and hope there are too many hurdles for another independence referendum to be approved and the "stronger together" model will really hold true I think. We need to be one nation to get through whatever lies ahead.

13. billyo

billyo Demi God of BlueShare

To add a bit of humour to the conversation, a head line from down under (after the conclusion of an amazing series in oz!)

Clze_NjWIAAylBy.jpg

14. coolebenji

coolebenji ..in the Real World we compete with the Best...

I think Nicola Sturgeon is another showing her hand too hastily and I think she has made a bit of a mistake.. she has been compromised in believing that the door to Europe would be open if remaining in the UK but has found out that it is now closed... but her mistake is believing, taking for granted, that the Scottish people would choose Europe over Britain... It is one thing to vote Europe as part of the UK, but it is quite another to vote Europe instead of Britain, we are far more integrated than an alien Europe, I think the last referendum proves this...

Added: taking for granted

Dazz66, Ron Clifton, mart101 and 5 others like this.
  15. Berwick

Berwick Demi God of BlueShare

We are in for a hiatus which is unlikely to help anyone. None of the political parties supported leave and there is now no political machinery to push things on. The civil service puts government policy into practice and the PM is in no hurry to invoke article 50. I suspect much of the money currently going to the EU will need to go employ more civil servants to both complete the administration processes and manage border controls.

B

mart101 and Viking like this.
  16. Steamy

I just feel both BREXIT & BREMAIN sides lied to us all and we voted based on untruths and scaremongering, how could you really be certain of voting correctly?

Dazz66, Azrael, firefly and 6 others like this.
  17. rodrod1

rodrod1 member

Just on a totally negative slant, set against the majority of us who would do their best to see Britain succeed, there are now key minorities who have been given totally unrealistic expectations.

There is much political blood still to be spilled in the UK; its only just started.
    The National Front have been handed a golden opportunity to become a political force in the UK
    English Defense League are repulsive but will also increase massively in popularity
    British none whites are going to be the target of a new racism
    Countries in Europe will want to give the British a good kicking - as a lesson and as we cant fight back.
    Europe is going to be under enormous strain from Right Wing hateful parties
    UK will end up with less net cash in the future as EU will extract more than we pay now as part of the club.

Its pointless me going on and on. Cameron ridiculously gambled the farm on Remain rather than have the balls to sort out the Tories decades old internal problems. There is nothing noble in his resignation; he bet on red and it came up black. He lost. End of being PM.

The Leave bunch are now looking like buffoons in my estimation. No plan, no organisation. They have left the Country with a Govt that is leaderless and weak beyond anything like we have ever experienced in my life time.

Imagine a future parliament made up partly of thugish extremists. Heaven forbid that Enoch Powell is going to have his blood on the streets. Cameron has broken the United Kingdom in his dash for personal fame before his 'retirement'.

18. Viking

Viking Demi God of BlueShare

Well, have just watching the Croatia v Portugal match, zzzzzz:rolleyes: so thought I would look in here for a bit of excitement.
    Bloody hell @rodrod1 that's a bit pessimistic. This is a great country with great people. We will get through this and come out the the other side ok. So cheer up:);). You only have the seismic events of the last 48 hours to deal with. Whereas I have got that and the prospect of Mrs Viking asking why we ever invaded these isles in the first place:oops: at least you still have your boat to sail away in if storm clouds appear, as for my longship:eek: Mrs V sold it for a designer hand bag ffs;):) take care.

19. trizza

trizza Demi God of BlueShare

The proposed Scottish referendum should be interesting. At least the voters will have certainty on 2 things that they didn't have before:

1) they won't get to use the pound if they vote out as England and Wales won't be in the EU. They'll have to adopt the euro or a currency that is pegged against the pound or euro. The SNP said this wouldn't happen.

2) the SNP economic plan at the last referendum essentially required oil to be 110 dollars a barrel. Err we now know that's just not going to happen.

Savory, WhatTheHeck, Dazz66 and 8 others like this.
  20. rodrod1

rodrod1 member

Lols!!! lovely post.

I have come across lots of the scumbags in our Great Britain. Today they feel super duper empowered. Bit by bit they are going to realise that they have been HAD. I am sorry but they will not go away quietly and accept that they have been used by Boris et al. These people will be on the streets.

Scotland didnt even wait for the ink to dry on the result before milking it. The UK is rudderless - so thank goodness that I do have my boat.

Cameron literally lit the blue touch paper and the sky rocket back fired spectacularly.

There is no effective Govt in England today - what a shambles.